Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2009 ram 1500 was accidentally shut off in reverse and…

Customer Question
My 2009 ram 1500...

My 2009 ram 1500 was accidentally shut off in reverse and now I cannot get it to shift back into park so I can start it

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Original tranny no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried wiggling the steering wheel back and forth while trying to shift it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I cant think of any thing else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
7/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Can you put it in neutral to start it?

No

Is the shifter seized from moving?

when I turn the key on the r for reverse is lit up. The shifter though is actually in the park position.

Then you have broke the shifter cable end either at the transmission or the shifter linkage. The transmission will not let the vehicle start unless it is in neutral or park. Look at the transmission shift linkage on left side of transmission to see if cable came off from shift rod?

No, and has not

Can you still move shifter after you turn on the key but indicator still says reverse?

but I have to shimmy the wheel back and forth. But it will still not start. When you turn the key on, the shifter will not release from Park. At that time the reverse indicator light showing on the dash
I now believe that it was shut off in park but the light for the gear indicator never moved from reverse when it was shut off.

You need to check the cable at both ends to see if it came off at shifter. The ends go bad and disconnect when worn out on these vehicles.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"