Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Won't stay running while I'm jumping it. Unless I keep my…

Customer Question
Won't stay running while...

Won't stay running while I'm jumping it. Unless I keep my foot on the gas. The moment I take my foot off, it dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not anything noticable. It's a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport. Always been a bit rough on gas. It doesn't start at all on it's own. When it's hooked up to another car (jumping) everything powers up. Like I said, I just cant take my foot off the accelerator or it dies immediately. Btw, no warning lights ever came on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just jumping it. It's stuck in a garage, three floors down. Can't get a tow truck down there. Thinking it's the alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. That's it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 11 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, thanks for asking your question. My name is***** will be helping you today..

I have some ideas for you and will be posting some info shortly.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding with me while I research this for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

There are a couple things that together can cause this issue. A dirty throttle body as well as a weak/bad battery is what is causing this concern..

What you need to do to keep it running is when you jump start it keep it running at about 1500 rpm for at least 30 seconds. After that amount of time VERY VERY slowly begin letting the rpm come down towards idle. After about another 30 seconds start trying to SLOWLY lift your foot off the accelerator, If it begins to stall, press down the accelerator to keep the engine running and slowly try lifting your foot again. Eventually you will be able to lift your foot off of the accelerator and it will stay running...

When you get the vehicle to a place where you can work on it you will need to REPLACE the battery and you will need to remove your throttle body and thoroughly clean it with throttle body cleaner and a scotch brite pad. Pay special attention to the edge of the throttle blade and the area of the throttle body where the blade sits at an idle. We need to remove all visible traces of carbon from these areas. Also remove the IAC (Idle Air Control) motor and thoroughly clean it along with the passages in the throttle body..

Reassemble the throttle body to the engine and all should be fine after that....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.