Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a check engine code of P0420. Can you tell me what…

Customer Question
I have a check...

I have a check engine code of P0420. Can you tell me what that is?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

LT Ron Bingham US Navy Retired

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. I just checked the code for the check engine light..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
7/28/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Normal (Bank 1) - Manual and Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions

• Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold)
  • Front HO2S-11 older (aged) than the rear HO2S (HO2S-12 is lazy)
  • Check for air leaks in the exhaust manifold and in the exhaust pipes
  • Catalytic converter has failed (check for physical damage and discoloration)
  • Base engine problems (e.g., high coolant or engine oil consumption)

Engine speed from 1,400-2,300 rpm; MAP signal from 40-70 kPa, and the PCM detected that the Bank 1 Catalyst final State of Change was within the calibrated failure threshold. The State of Change (SOC) catalyst monitor uses signals from both the upstream and downstream HO2S to detect aging of the catalyst. Based on the fact that when a catalyst ages, it loses some of its Oxygen Storage Capacity (OSC). As a result, part of the untreated exhaust gases can break through the catalyst and cause the downstream HO2S to deviate from its neutral (Stoichiometric) position. By observing the activities in the downstream HO2S signal, the degradation level of catalyst can be detected. In general, the higher the downstream HO2S State of Change value, the more exhaust gas break through, and the lower the OSC of the catalytic converter