-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Will the van have a no start or intermittent start if it has

Customer Question

will the van have a no start or intermittent start if it has a universal remote instead of an original equipment remote ?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1998 caravan
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. I am an ASE certified tech. I have had the van for several months. I am just getting around to working on it, and it dawned on me that it has a square key fob, not an original Dodge key fob. I was thinking that could be an issue. I have several Chrysler vehicles and it seems I had a problem before like that .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. just curious if the different key fob could maybe be the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The remotes on the older vehicles will have no affect on the starting of the engine, they only lock and unlock the doors. If you having an intermittent no start then you will need to see if your loosing spark or fuel, and if the engine will not even turn over then you will need to remove the starter relay and see if pins 85 has a ground and 86 has voltage.

Talk soon,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

I see that you have read my reply, but I have not got a reply back stating you need more help so I just wanted to check in with you...

Talk soon,

Brad