Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 1990 dodge diseal and having issues with the

Customer Question
charging system overcharging. I have...
I have a 1990 dodge diseal and having issues with the charging system overcharging. I have went through several external regulators and put new ends on the cables going to the battery. Thanks for your help
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Actually it was a new battery and with the overcharging it has went bad I have to jump the pickup
JA: What is the model of your '90 Dodge?
Customer: Dodge Ram 3/4 ton pickup
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have gone through several regulators and just put new cable ends on and when I change the regulator it will charge normal for a few days then go right back to the overcharging mode
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 3 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

These regulators MUST be properly mounted and grounded to the body BEFORE turning on the key and starting the vehicle. If you just plug in the regulator and let it hang there and start the engine you WILL fry the new regulator. Just want to make sure that this is not being done. Make sure regulator is tightly mounted upon initial installation. Also make absolutely sure that the battery has a 10 gauge wire or larger hooked from battery negative to the inner fender for a good body ground.

Give me a bit of info about your process and the events that began this scenario and the continuation as to what you have done so far...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master