Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I change my water pump on my magnum now my timing chain its

Customer Question

i change my water pump on my magnum now my timing chain its making a nocking noise i put a new tensioner on and its still making that nocking noise,,, thank you
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: yes it did over heat but they did a head check and my heads are good, my oil light is on im starting to think its a little more serious
JA: What year is your Magnum?
Customer: 2005 befor i change the pump the car was running fine 2,7 when i took the valve cover it was full of sluge it look like grese not oil im thinking thats why my oil light is on cause its glog
JA: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO my friend doing it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you thats about it,
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this time, I think you already answered your own question. from what you are describing, in fact it IS more serious than just timing chain noise. You stated that you found sludge under the valve cover. This sludge was caused by coolant mixing with the oil caused by the water pump failure.

At this time, you WILL need to remove the engine for teardown OR just go ahead and replace the engine as most likely you have spun rod and/or main bearings which means that the engine may need to be overhauled or replaced...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Coolant mixing with the oil causes the sludge that you found. This sludge is throughout the engine. Most likely what happened is this sludge has blocked the pickup screen for the oil pump resulting in oil starvation in the engine. This will cause spun rod and main bearings and eventually catastrophic engine failure..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.