-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2010 Dodge Avenger rt. 3.5 liter engine. The power steering

Customer Question

2010 Dodge Avenger rt. 3.5 liter engine. The power steering pump is making a grinding sound while turning. Hard to turn. Leaking fluid from somewhere on the bottom of the pump but the fluid in the reservoir is not going down.
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: It is red and the consistency it should be. noticed it dripping on the passenger side and upon inspection saw it on the bottom of the pump.
JA: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am going to fix it myself. Havent tried anything so far, wanted to do some research to try and confirm it is the pump. I know it has a pressure control valve. Was hoping maybe if it tripped I could reset it somehow or there would be an easy fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was doing donuts in reverse in my yard when this happened. the wheel was turned all the way and the rpm's were pretty high. I think high pressure is what caused this. yeah it was pretty stupid and I am paying for it now.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Can you clean off all the fluid with brake cleaner and then see if the pump itself is dripping? It sounds like you had the wheels turned all the way which put the pump in a bind and then you had the engine rev'ed up which was building a lot of pressure under a bind so it's very likely the pump has failed and will need to be replaced...

I have attached the directions to replace the pump to help you...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad