Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

W lost the keys in the lake, No so we removed the ignition

Customer Question

W lost the keys in the lake
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: No so we removed the ignition control module now it starts but won't stay running
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 05 caravan sxt
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We are stuck at the lake
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: So I removed the module and Did a hard reset on the security system
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Unfortunately, you will need to tow the vehicle to the nearest dealer so that you can cut and program a new key. There is NO way to bypass the security system as this system is integrated into the PCM as well as the SKIM module. If the PCM does not see the "Ok to Run" signal from the security module you will only get a start and stall condition. There is NO way to make the PCM think that it is ok to run without this message from the SKIM module. Because of this, you have no choice but to tow it to a dealer for a new key and to program the new key...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert