Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

It just stopped while going down the highway and now won't

Customer Question

It just stopped while going down the highway and now won't crank. Seems to be not getting fuel.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Plugs were just replaced. Not sure where the fuel pump fuse is.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 07 ram 1500, 5.7
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm on the side of the road so yes. Lol
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just checking fuses and plugs at the moment. Engine turns over but that's it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you do not hear a hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank area with the key first turned on or when cranking over the engine this is usually a sign that the fuel pump is faulty.Fuel pump failure is a common fault on allot of these models as I have seen and had to replace before.There is no separate fuse to the pump.The pump is controlled by the integrated power control module ( under hood fuse panel assembly) internally.

The tank would need lowered and locate the orange/red wire and test for 12 volts with key on or when cranking.If you have this voltage then the pump needs replaced.

Labor to replace the pump is 2.1 hours and the cost for the pump can run up to $250 in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete