Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Sputtering is what i thought first but engine seems to be

Customer Question

Sputtering is what i thought first but engine seems to be fone
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: More of a slipping i think
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 08 dodge caliber
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pulled off tge freeway
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No engine or tranny lightshave turned on
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this feels like a transmission slip type feel this can be caused by the valve body with debris build up in it needing to be flushed out or an issue mechanically with a worn clutch or band in the transmission.The other issue can be the fluid being low in the transmission as this will cause this fault as well here.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fluid level and condition checked to see if any issues are found.If any issues are found ( leaks found) then the leaks need repaired and fluid topped off.If the fluid level is o.k. or no leaks at all even though no warning lights have come on a scan tool should be plugged into your vehicle to read out any codes set to see if any are set.If no codes are set then the transmission will need to be checked/tested further to locate the cause and then repaired from there.This can require some special tools to do this testing like a transmission fluid pressure test gauge as well as electrical test equipment which is usually best done by a shop or dealer to locate and resolve this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete