Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7, that is overheating. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7, that is overheating. I just bought the car and the person I bought it from, told me that the water pump had been changed. I drove the car with no issues, for two weeks, so when it started overheating, I figured the issue to be a stuck thermostat. I replaced the temp sensor and the thermo, only to have the same issue. The car will sit and idle without overheating, NO PROBLEM. However, once you proceed to drive the car, it will over heat. So after some research and looking on this site, I came to my own conclusion, that maybe the water pump is bad, due to the fact that I've seen that the water pump turbine can separate from the shaft. So now I've got everything apart and I can see that the water pump is literally brand new or at least it looks to be. The person I bought the car from, doesn't remember a exact time frame of when the pump was replaced but the car did sit for awhile due to her losing her license. A neighbor of mine told me that I could very well have a "Air bubble" in my cooling system. So now I'm wondering if I'm possibly chasing the wrong dragon? I'd much rather not have to remove the timing chain just to look at the water pump. One thing I forgot to add is that once the water pump was changed, the car was filled back up with straight water instead of antifreeze and sat thru at least one winter. Also, prior to me changing the thermostat, the car would get to running temp and the upper hose would be hot and hard and the lower would be cool and soft. From time to time after changing the thermo, the hoses would both feel mushy. Could I possibly have a air bubble and not a bad pump?
Thanks,
Jay
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 3 months ago.

HEllo, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Roughly how long does it take for the engine to overheat after a cold start?