Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

No ground pulse on #3 coil ground, 2011 ram 1500 5.7, I am

Customer Question

No ground pulse on #3 coil ground
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2011 ram 1500 5.7
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am self employed mechanic and I eliminated wire harness with a jumper
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a ecm problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

it is just # 3 coil ?

# 3 coil has 12 volts at the other wire and no blinking ground at the other wire with it running ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That correct
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if you eliminated the wire from the coil to the computer then yes the computer is bad i am sorry to say nothing else will cause just one coil to not get a trigger blinking ground

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know it is a common problem it only happens after hard acceleration
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

not too common

we have seen it before

to be 100 % sure change the crank sensor

if it still does this then yes the computer is 100 % the issue

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

if you have any questions please ask

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is this a crank sensor problem or ecm
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

it could be either

if the crank sensor was triggers wrong it could cause this issue

its best to replace the crank sensor if it still does this then replace the computer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You say you are a dodge mechanic do you have access to bulletins or recalls information
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

yes there are no bulletins for this issue and i see no recalls for this issue at all

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

again at this point the # 3 coil is loosing its trigger signal and that comes from the computer which the computer is told when to fire the coils from the crank sensor

if there is a bad or wrong trigger signal from the crank sensor it will tell the computer to fire the coils or a coil at the wrong time or not at all

the crank sensor is working and any tests on it will show good

i am just telling you to be 100 % sure it is the computer is to eliminate the crank sensor from being the issue

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your not telling me how crank sensor plays a part in #3 misfire. this truck misfires after hard acceleration , stop and shut off and start right back up and it runs fine
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

did you not read what i just sent you on how the crank sensor could be the issue ?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

how are you making out ?