Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Durango crew 3.6, alternator ceased,replaced with

2012 Durango crew 3.6...

2012 Durango crew 3.6 , alternator ceased,replaced with reman, and not charging now. Check plug in on back of alternator and one side has a pulsing ground when running but no battery voltage to turn on fields in alt? What could cause this, bad pcm?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Replaced the battery as well , so it is new. Check charge voltage and nothing but batt voltage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I was an auto tech, just going off the internet as far as diagnosis.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the car acted up and died and when it did the battery was completely dead so replaced, then found alternator ceased so replaced it as well.

7/22/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you need to shoot thee wires from the alterntor to the PCM for continuity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok , where is pcm located on this vehicle ? How many volts does the pcm send to the fields during operation?

standby

sorry, had a phone call. its in the right front of the engine compartment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll check it out and see if there's continuity , did you happen to know the voltage supplied to the fields by pcm?

ill try to find out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you sir

here you go

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. even though you accept and rate doesnt mean we are done as i will be with you until the vehicle is fixed. thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll get checking the continuity and get back with you, I'll also take alternator of and get it tested , just invade it's a bad Renan. Thanks and talk to you soon.

ok, sounds good, please let me know.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I checked continuity of brown and pink and the grey and red wires to the pcm and they have no resistance. What's the next step?

ok, so you checked continuity between the alternator connector (unplugged) and the pcm connector(unplugged) and they were open?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked for resistance and the wires are both in good shape meaning the pcm is probably the problem. So now I suppose I have to spend another chunk of money on a new pcm for it. Am I correct?

if you did the continuity test correctly and those wires had continuity to each other, then yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well that's just not what I needed to hear. So after researching this on the internet , I see there are hundreds of Durango owners with the same complaint and Dodge has done nothing to help them . Well I guess I'll fix it and trade it for another brand of car. Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the bad news, you can buy a pre programmed one or send yours out for repair

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do you recommend buying a preprogrammed pcm thru?

ebay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks David , appreciate the help with the matter.

you're welcome. they are pretty cheap on ebay too.