Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2000 Dodge Caravan. Thought water pump might be going out.

Found that the thermostat was...
2000 Dodge Caravan. Thought water pump might be going out. Found that the thermostat was on backward, just took it out for now. Then AC belt broke and a couple blocks down the road, car died. Acted like it wasn't getting gas. Replaced fuel pump and filter. Tried starter fluid... but found it's not getting spark. Any ideas what it is or what I need to do to get a firm diagnosis as to what the issue is? Thanks!
7/14/2017
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Hi welcome to just answers my name is***** you tell me the engine size
3.0, I believe.
Ok if you have no spark this can be cause by a cam sensor or a crank sensor, if the cam sensor is the problem the engine should be able to start with the cam sensor disconnected, if it does not starts then the problem is the crank sensor needs replacing
timing belt and coil can be ruled out? Would there be a crank or cam check engine code?
Some times when the cam or crank fail they short out the 5 volts reference to the computer and this causes the computer to reset therefore no codes will be shown
timing belt, coil, and distributor can be ruled out?
timing belt you would have heard noise from the engine or timing belt area, coil you would have seen a flashing engine light before it stall or heard back fire out the intake or exhaust

Hi sorry got up late should we continue?

Couldn't the belt have just jumped a few notches? Okay, so not a coil problem. What about distributor?

if the timing belt jump timing it will still fire the cylinder except at the wrong time, if it was a distributor, you would have a code about multiple misfire or a secondary circuit problem , and if it was the coil you would have no spark to the distributor and a code for a primary circuit problem.

lest go over the primary circuit first by checking spark out of the coil wire with a screwdriver see if any .

let me know if any?

Thank you!

Good morning are you still having the problem with your vehicle?

do you need more help?

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech