Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 base dodge Caravan 3.0 v6.. use as a backup postal

Customer Question

1998 base dodge Caravan 3.0 v6.. use as a backup postal delivery vehicle.. van does sit for periods..installed new interstate battery maybe 6 months ago.. last drove the car about 3-4 weeks ago with no problem starting or anything else.. went to start 2 days ago got nothing, not even a little.. connected a new smart lithium jumper and still nothing not even a dome light or headlight.. any idea?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Do the headlights work? What about the dome lights and brake lights?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No on both
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No neither one
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for that information.

What is the battery voltage currently at?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Don't currently know.. battery was new 6 mo ago.. vehicle not near me at the moment.. used a genius battery jump attempted to start but still got nothing including lights
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

The battery is most likely just dead again.. or the connections could be bad/loose preventing voltage from getting to the vehicle

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Interstate batttery would surprise me, but will remove and have checked before proceeding..would have figured at least to get lights with a jump attached..
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

The only other thing would be a faulty power distribution center provided all fuses are good. :)

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

But it would be more likely that it is a battery issue or connection at the battery causing this concern.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What is a power distribution center? Battery hook up done very professional by interstate battery folks using special coating .. shows no corrosion
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

The power distribution center is the fuse box that contains all of the fuses.

Again, the battery may have just lost charge due to something draining the battery.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Still with a jump attached wouldn't there be some show of power
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Your right. it "should" if you do it correctly.

But again, we don't know for sure because we don't know what the battery voltage is at.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Well, I will need to do first thing first and get battery tested however vehicle locked in at Post Office vehicle parking and will have to wait for another day.. been jumping cars a long time and in addition the cool thing is this lithium genius jumper even makes it fail safe for idiots
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Got it..

You dont need to get the new battery "tested".

You just need to check voltage on it using a voltmeter. :)

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 days ago.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>