Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

No pressure to the ABS system. And no. Dealer checked it

Customer Question
no pressure to the ABS...
no pressure to the ABS system
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: yes and no. Dealer checked it out, no pressure
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 93 grand voyager
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the ABS pump was replaced with a rebuilt 1 1/2 years ago, 12,000 miles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: so far I have tried professional mechanics. So far no help.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
7/14/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Are you trying to fix yourself or want to know what to expect at a shop? Thanks.

the dealers don’t want to work on a car so old. My independent mechanic hasn’t worked on this system and is hesitant to do repairs. I have talked with Cardone and they said it might be electrical as the pump was recently replaced. So it looks like it is up to me.
this is the dealer suggested replacement part, https://www.carid.com/1993-plymouth-grand-voyager-brake-parts/a1-cardone-abs-hydraulic-assembly-94060049.html
Dan, is this an up sell site? I have spent loads of time on this already and don’t care to get scammed here
hello????
got it. Please refund my $5.00.

Sorry about delay, did you still wan't to talk about problem or should I put in refund?

Website automatically tries to upsell phone call option to everyone.

Let talk
chat
hello???

Loss of pressure would either be caused by the master cylinder or the abs pump assembly. To figure out which of the two for sure you would need to disconnect the hydraulic assembly and use brake liner adapters to bypass it. Then if you still had a loss of pressure with hydraulic assembly bypassed you would know problem is caused by the master cylinder. If problem is better with it bypassed then you know problem is hydraulic control assembly. Considering how much time it would take to bypass system I think your best option is to just replace the master cylinder. If problem still exists then replace the hydraulic control assembly. It takes me a few minutes to type of response, sorry about delay. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

maybe I didn’t explain the condition well enough. The ABS pump is not putting out any pressure to the system. If you look at the link I sent, you will see that the pump and master cylinder are one unit.
the question is if it is an electrical problem to the ABS pump, or a pump failure.
The ABS light went on and no problems. I did a semi hard break and then no more boost on the break system.

You can unplug the abs pump and if problem still exists this would prove it is not electrical. Problem definitely sounds like the pump/master cylinder. Sorry about confusion, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Thanks but I knew all that before. Only the dealer has the equipment to “unplug” the pump. Their diagnostic is the pump is not putting out any pressure. I am trying to understand how to test the Dual pressure switch. Do you know anything about this?

You can remove the ABS fuse which would be same thing as unplugging electrical connector. What is your vin number?

1P4GK54R2PX554586
I want to know if the unit is getting power, not disconnecting the power.

When you say no pressure does that mean brake is hard or soft? Thanks.

Hard. No boost
this vehicle doesn’t have a traditional brake booster. All the boost is from the ABS pump system.

The ABS pump is controlled by the dual function pressure switch. The switch is located under the hydraulic assembly. Ground the Gray wire at the switch to see if the pump will run, if so replace switch if not replace pump assembly. From what I see these pumps should have a lifetime warranty. The part number for the dual function pressure switch is(###) ###-#### Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Lifetime is relative. Chrysler says 15 years. The parts are no longer available as OEM parts so the warranty is void anyway. And the recall has already been done.

I figured there would be something like that due to age of vehicle but wanted to at least mention it. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Do I ground the grey wire still connected? Do I need to cut the wire? Ground the ABS side?
Which wire is supposed to carry current?

That wire is grounded by the abs module to activate the relay. Here is wiring diagrams of system, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4006w6gy69ndfl/ab1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibn92xkh1pynfq9/ab2.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti665s5ovc3fzxm/ab3.pdf?dl=0

Ever get it figured out?

the pump needed to be replaced.

Good to hear, I figured that would be the case. Hopefully you were able to get it replaced under warranty. Thanks for update.

not likely. I will have to submit a claim after the repair is completed as it wasn’t done at the dealer.

Good Luck.

Dan, Technician