Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Battery not charging/going dead. Gauge shows its charging. I

Customer Question
battery not charging/going dead. Gauge...
battery not charging/going dead. Gauge shows its charging
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes I have changed one before/ had the machine plugged into it at auto zone yesterday and show on their computon low voltage
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2011 2500 with 5.7 hemi just got it a few days ago to tow a camper trailor
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Going to try myself and just started with this problem last nite so have tried nothing, thought it might the voltage regulator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
7/14/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution.

1. At the alternator, check for Battery voltage on the Red wire on the two wire connector.

2. Check for Battery voltage on the output terminal (large wire) on the alternator. This is a direct battery feed.

3. Locate the Brown/Grey wire on the two wire connector. Applying 12 volts to this wire should cause the alternator to charge, if the alternator is good. Isolate this wire from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) before applying 12 volts.

4. If the alternator does charge when powering up the control wire, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may be faulty.

Jerry, Master Mechanic