Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a fan clutch that is intermittent and would like to…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a fan clutch that is intermittent and would like to install a switch if possible to manually turn it on. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

Only 12000 or so. Had it replaced last year

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

3500 diesel 05

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Want to fix my self. Only installed the new clutch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Clutch doesn't engage and over heats after new clutch installed. 5 volt supply is tested good.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
6/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Josh, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, the problem you'll likely run into is that the fan is pulse width modulated, so you won't be able to just add a toggle switch and have it operate, if it's not engaging it's likely that the regulation circuitry has failed. I've had several of these that I've replace yearly or more on my customers trucks. If you used a Mopar fan clutch it should still be under warranty though.Instead of the toggle switch idea I'd suggest either a standard non electric fan clutch, which will set a check engine light or adding an auxiliary cooling fan in front of the radiator that you can actuate with a toggle switch.