Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Replaced alternator turns over good but will not start asd

Customer Question
replaced alternator turns...
replaced alternator turns over good but will not start asd is the code
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: no all good
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2011 Durango 3.6
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: battery light came on and it went dead took alternator off and replaced it that's it so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
6/15/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 5 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
THANKS
ANY IDEA WHY IT WONT CRANK
?

Tell me, is the code a p0688?

Is the ASD code a P0688 or another code?

Chris

I CANT REMEMBER THE CODE IT SAID AUTO SHUTDOWN
I swapped fuses but still nothing

Ok, stand by. I want to check a few things. I will get back to you asap.

Chris

thanks
po688 is the code

Ok, that is what I thought. Try swapping the ASD relay with another relay, or get a new one. Look on the inside of the fuse/relay box lid to see where the ASD is located. I also have found the diagnostic procedure for that code. I have placed it in a PDF file in the link below. Click on it to open it up. Hopefully this will help, and let me know how it goes.

Chris

we tried replacing relay already
any
other ideas
Try this : remove the relay and locate terminals #30 and #87 on the relay. Now get a test light and verify that there is power on cavity #30. If so, then use a small wire and jump cavity #30 to #87 see if it will start.Chris
it will start but will not stay running
But if you install the relay it will not start at all?
Chris
No sir. Will not start at all
Ok, try this : clear that code, then disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. See if that works.Chris
ill do that right niow
nothing still turns but wont crank
something with that Auto Shutdown
Ok, are you able to follow the diagnostic procedure that I sent you earlier today?
Chris
no I'm not sure what else to try
Tell me this: When you turn on the ignition switch, do you see the little red security light come on for about 3 seconds and then turn off?Chris
no
guess ill tow it to dealer tomorrow
Ok, may be a problem with the SKIM Security system. The dealer will connect their WiTech scan tool to the vehicle and see what is going on. Let me know what they say.
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman