Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

When i turn my headlights switch on the purplie wire on the

Customer Question

When i turn my headlights switch on the purplie wire on the right on the headlight bulb plug is a constant power and the red and purple with white stripe wires arent and when i turn on my high beams the red wire for high beams is a ground. My truck is a 1999 dodge 2500 i was just wondering if this is normal or what could be wrong
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Dodge Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes i have checked every fuse bulbs and everything that involves the headlights
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1999 2500 cummins
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I am just attempting to put relays on my headlights because i recently bought led bulbs but when i tested the plug i didnt think that it was supposed to be like it is
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the wire on the right which is purple is a constant power even with the key off it always has power to it and the red wire is ground. If i hook a test light to the positive on my battery and hook it to the red wire it lights up so that means its a negative wire and the purple with white wire for low beams is the exact same.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Let me pull up the headlight wiring diagram for the headlights. I will be back asap.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Okay, after looking at the diagram. I am seeing that the solid Black wire is a ground, and the purple (violet) with a White stripe is the low beam and should have power on it when low beams are selected. The Red with an Orange stripe should have voltage when high beams are selected. Click on the link below to see the diagram.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

How's it going with the L E D light installation?

chris