Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi at first the idle with surge and

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi at first the idle with surge and then stall then it just went to a high idle of 1700 and stay there no longer stalling what could be the problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I see it looks like you may be off line.

I will post some information for you on this page so that you have it when you come on line in case I happen to log off.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

This engine uses an electronic throttle body. The idle is controlled by the angle of the throttle plate based on various inputs to the computer. If the engine is surging at idle or it has a higher than normal idle, this could be a dirty or faulty throttle body. You will want to start by cleaning it first using a soft wire brush and some throttle body cleaner. If the problem continues, the throttle body may need to be replaced.

Another possible cause would be a, air/vacuum leak under the hood. I would start by opening the hood and listening for a hissing sound at idle indicating a vacuum leak. Look close by the throttle body, intake manifold and gaskets. Also, don't forget to check all vacuum hoses and lines and replace or fix as needed. That alone may just do the trick if you find something leaking engine vacuum.

Another thing I would recommend to check is the APP sensor/TPS sensor as they as well as the EGR valve as they could be starting to malfunction causing this condition.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The only code that was there was a misfire code.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Some of the more common causes of an engine misfiring on this condition are dirty or leaking valves, faulty ignition components and possibly an air.vacuum leak (if the vacuum leak is large enough).

I would start by going after the misfire code or codes first, diagnosing and fixing that and then going after the idle condition as needed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>