Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE ENGINE AT TOP DEAD CENTER BEFORE

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE ENGINE AT TOP DEAD CENTER BEFORE REMOVING VP44?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: MANUAL 105,000
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 98.5 CUMMINS 24VALVE
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I set it at TDC and removed bolt and key is at bottom of shaft.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will this mess up timing with pump if I bring key way to top for install of VP44.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The answer to your question is no. You don't need to bring the engine to TDC before removal of the VP44. As long as the VP44 is reinstalled properly, lining up the woodruff key properly as to not cause damage upon assembly everything will still be timed.

If you decide to bring the vp44 drive gear keyway to the 12'o clock position before reinstallation of the VP44 make absolutely SURE that the timing gear doesn't skip a tooth during engine rotation to bring the keyway to 12 o'clock position. Better yet, just leave it there and get yourself some "Super Glue" and glue the woodruff key into the VP44 so it won't fall out during reinstallation of the injection pump...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.