Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 1994 dodge with a 1997 transmission and computer

Customer Question

i have a 1994 dodge with a 1997 transmission and computer for the trans in it and am trying to figure out hoe to wire up the OBD port so I can see why the trans is not shifting into first gear and starting out in second gear
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: its a brand new trans.
JA: What is the model of your '97 Dodge?
Customer: 2500 4wd diesel
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: rebuilt trans as it was burned. transmission shop repaired it and everything is new in it still starting in second gear. trying to verify that the PCM is comanding 1st gear but dont have a diagnostics port on the truck as the previous shop that did the swap did not wire it in. currently trying to figure out how to wire in the OBD port so that I can communicate with it with my Modus Ultra
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really the main goal is to wire in a diagnstics port to check cummunication between the PCM and trans to see fi the problem is in the valve body or in the PCM or in the Wiring to the trans
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I can say that normally when a transmission defaults to one gear it is because there is no voltage to the transmission control module and then usually happens when the fuse is blown.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i understand that I do diesel repair for a living the issue i have is figuring out how to wire up the OBD plug so that I can communicate with the PCM as the wiring and trans is out of a 1997 dodge ram and it is in a 1994 dodge ram. the trans starts in second gear and shifts to third and fourth fine and goes into converter lock up like it should but will not return to 1st after the intial up shift from first until you restart the truck. I want to be able to see what the PCM is commanding the Trans to do and see if it is a elcetrical problem or if the new trans has a internal issue with the valve body or solenoid pack
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry if that came off abrasive I just need to figure out which wires to pin into which positions in a OBD2 plug so that i can hook up my Modius Ultra to the truck to communicate with it and make sure the PCM is telling the trans to do the right thing or not so I can diagnose it from there
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Isn't that 1994 an OBDI?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

here is the dlc wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.