-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

We have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. engine will

Customer Question

We have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. engine will not start .w/o a small shot of ether. We installed 6 rebuilt injectors, all 6 old ones tested bad. Cranking fuel pressure will only rise to about 1700 lbs, well short of the 4500 needed. We blocked off all 6 injectors one at a time looking for excessive return, no single one made a difference so we blocked off all 6 and still had low fuel cranking pressure. When we start the engine with ether, and then unplug the FCA pressure jumps to 26000 psi. Transfer pump has been recently replaced and flow test is above minimum specs. return off hi-press pump is within specs and clear line on the inlet to hi-press pump shows no aireation. Motor runs fine after start up, but shut it off and it immediately will not restart.Hi -pressure limit valve on fuel rail has been replaced and remains dry at all times.
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 286k, just been serviced
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I have been working on Cummins engines for 20 years at the dealership and you have done some good testing, but something doesn't add up.. The cause of your no start is the low rail psi which you have found and the causes would be leaking injectors/transfer tubes, or a bad PLV. When the fuel leaves the CP3 it goes directly to the common rail and then to the injectors. Either one or more of the injectors are leaking or you have a bad PLV. You have already replaced the PLV and had the injectors rebuilt so the pressure has to be bleeding off somewhere, but this is where it gets tricky. You have unplugged the FCA and caused the CP3 to build MAX psi which is 26,600 and it did so but did you disconnect the FCA and try to start it? Did it start then? Also there is a bulletin that says to check the return line to the tank as it could affect the CP3 and cause a no start.. Here is the bulletin..

Vehicle Issue No start. The truck is being repaired after fuel system contamination.;The transfer (lift) pump, high pressure pump, and injectors have been replaced. The engine still will not start.

System or Component No Start;DTC / Error Message;Group 14 - Fuel System,Fuel Pump / Transfer Pump,Injection Pump,Injectors;Recent Repairs;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously

Recommendation Inspect the complete fuel return system for a restriction or blockage. There could be debris from the contaminated fuel lodged in the return system which effects the high pressure pump operation.

Let me know your findings,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have unplugged FCA at cranking, still 1700psi, still a no-start. Removed FCA to check for pitting or contamination. (clean).Have checked return flow out of CP3, within specs of Mitchell as well as cranking output volume. Transfer pump is new and good flow. All appears well except for fuel pressure while cranking. Just will not go above 1700psi.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked the return to the tank as in the bulletin I attached?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Return line is clear, we have also tried to start it w/o the return line hooked up, just returning into a can and same result