-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2000 Dakota cranks strong but does not start. getting fuel

Customer Question

2000 Dakota cranks strong but does not start. getting fuel pressure. swapped relay for the auto shutdown and still nothing
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 167000. replaced coils recently along with new battery and alternator. oil changes and routine maintenance are always on schedule
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i usually always do my own repairs. as i said, i checked for fuel pressure, relays and fuses seem fine unless there a mystery one i dont know about
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I"ve had similar problem before where i turn the key but let off too soon and then it did the same thing but somehow always managed to start eventually.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

WHat codes are stored in the PCm using a scantool? Have you checked for spark? WHat engine do you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
right now a friend of mine has my scanner and he is working in Alaska so i may have trouble getting it back until he gets home. Kind of why I'm going this route right now. I haven't checked for spark yet as there isnt anyone around to crank while I look. I do know I'm getting fuel pressure. Its the 4.7
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

The first step will be to see what codes are setting.. You could have a bad crankshaft sensor if you don't have spark but if we know what codes it has would help... If not spark then test for 12v and ground pulse at the coils, if you don't have the ground pulse then the PCM is not telling the coils to spark and the causes would be a bad PCM, bad crankshaft sensor, or a security issue if you see a red dot on in the dash...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does sound like a spark problem, as it is a very flat sound while cranking it. No sputter or anything.There is an Advance auto very close to me, but without a way to get it there, I cant get them to hook it up for me. I will say this, it ran totally fine driving home from work, and then 3 hours later, nothing. Thanks for your input.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

I would rent or borrow a code reader so we can see what codes are setting... You can try the 3x key cycle trick to see if any codes appear in the odometer area but it don't usually work.. To do the key cycle turn it to the On position 3 times within 10 seconds... If this doesn't work then you will need to borrow or rent a code reader, once you get the P code post the here.. The codes should be P1234

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried 3x key cycle and got nothing. I will will try the other suggestions. Thanks
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Keep me posted...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got a code. P0340. Camshaft position sensor.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay!

Ok the camshaft sensor is under the passenger side head.. Have you replaced it yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not yet. Waiting on a ride to parts store. I'll keep you posted. I did find it. Started spraying it a while with penetrating oil
Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 4 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad