Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2001 dodge caravan with 3.3 liter ac not working

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge caravan with 3.3 liter ac not working the clutch will not engage and I'm getting power to the plug going to the clutch so i test the clutch with a dvm and the results was open circuit or OL so i replaced the ac clutch but it still not engaging and the fans don't come on either when i turn on the ac but the fans work for normal cooling and i have static pressure when i hooked up the gauges but i notice if i unplug the high pressure sensor the fan will come on but the clutch still won't engage and i put on the two shims that came with the clutch but then the clutch would not rotate by hand so i put in another shim that came off the old clutch and then it was free to rotate by hand so now i have a total of three shims install i don't know what else the problem could be can anyone help me fix this problem cause its getting hot out here i need air lol...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, can you rotate the compressor by hand? How much of an air gap do you have between the pulley and hub? .027 inch gap should be good. If its too large a gap i can have an issue locking. Do you hear the clutch try to click?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?