Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited that's gone…

I have a 2008 Chrysler...
I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited that's gone into limp mode. The codes that it is currently showing are:P076A Shift Solenoid H
P0562 System voltage lowMy question is can a bad battery or alternator cause this van to go into limp mode. Is it possible for this to be the cause for limp mode and for it to have nothing to do with the transmission.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is going to be an issue with the transmission, where is the best place to start since what I found seems to point to several different issues it could be.
5/3/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Always check the battery and charging system first, then move to the component that is lacking accurate power and search for a bad ground if the power source is too low.

If all this is good, then read below.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and this is
the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside pan.
Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just were a
bit low on fluid.
Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep
this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks

You're welcome, please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you need me again,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I know what component is lacking adequate power?

The that was set. Complete system voltage OR trans solenoids voltage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're saying the fact that it was showing the code for shift solenoid h means that that's the component that is not getting adequate power correct?

If your battery and charging system are working properly, then you can have a bad ground in the shift solenoid circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You don't have a wiring diagram of that shift solenoid do you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When will I need an actual multimeter for that or can I do it with a regular voltmeter?

Nope, but the shift solenoids are all inside the trans anyway. You can't get to them without taking off the pan. They are located right on the valve body. A diagram isn't needed anyway once you see the plug. that's your testing point unless you want to do it the easy way with a scan tool.

I'm ready to be rated now for additional assistance, incentives:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got a regular cheap scan tool that will send me the codes. What kind of scanner would I need to pinpoint the problem?

Please read last reply.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright Ron I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help.

You bet, thank you too.

Most parts stores will loan you a good scan tool for just a deposit and that will get the job done for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright Ron, had a battery with 2 bad cells. Bought a new one and that solved the low voltage problem. So I'm going to dig into the shift solenoid pack tomorrow morning, any tips?

You may have it fixed already. No tips, just testing.

Thanks again