Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

What is relay and fuse number for fog lights in fuse box for

Customer Question

What is relay and fuse number for fog lights in fuse box for 2012 dodge ram 1500?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge Ram 1500. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I installed aftermarket headlights. I have a new bull bar with led light bar. I tried to tie into the positive and negative wires for fog lights. Now the fog lights only come on when headlights are on. The switch to turn them on doesnt do anything now. Didnt do that before. I took light bar wiring off and reconnected fog lights as they we're stock and they still only come on when headlights are on. I used to be able to use factory fog light switch to turn on off but switch does nothing. I am guessing relay is bad? I didnt disconnect ground off battery when doing install as i thought if they we're turned off no power.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Please send me the VIN number so I can get the proper wiring diagram.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1C6RD7LT0CS339576
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I will look it up when I get to work in about 20 minutes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok no rush im working also. Wont be near truck till later
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Okay, pulled up the wiring diagram and there is no fuse or relay for the fog light circuit on your truck. The TIPM (under hood fuse box) has electronic drivers and protection circuits for the fog lights. So my advice to you is to tap into the circuit right at the fog light connector (left or right side). You can pick up power and ground at the connector. If this were my truck, that is what I would do.

Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
use a test light? Explain process please. I am good at mechanics but admitably suck at electric. Why would lights now only come on automatically when headlights come on and go off? Why will fog light switch not function as did before?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good to know it has no fuse or relay, that explains why i couldnt find match in tipm diagram. Remember i am not a mechanic thats why i am paying you so explain things as such please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After thinking about this obvously the plug ends wont have power if tested as lights dont come on unless headlights are on. Fog light switch doesnt work now. Thats why i thought it was a relay, which i now know it doesnt have. So what is causing the behaviour? How can it be corrected?
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Well does the truck have factory fog lights now?Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
factory fog lights, everything is stock except new headlights and those are plug and play. I even called them to see if they had heard of any issues with messing with fog lights. None after 900 sold.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
Do the fog lights work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but only when headlights come on. The fog light switch does nothing now. It used to turn them on and off.
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
They are designed to only come on with the headlights on and low beam selected. If headlights are off, or on high beam they will not come on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They came on independently before with no lights on. Also the switch on/off for them doesnt do anything now. It wont turn them off or on. Didnt do that before Chris!
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

Okay I see. Then the TIPM may have failed, or the switch has failed. It is also possible that both fog light bulbs burnt out. Do you have a 12 volt test light? If so, turn on the headlights on low beam, and turn the fog lights on. See if there is voltage at the fog light connector. let me know.

Chris