Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Dodge ram starter is hesitating to rotate flywheel.

Customer Question

dodge ram starter is hesitating to rotate flywheel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Can you explain please ?

Has the battery and starter been tested to be sure the battery is holding proper voltage and the starter dose not have an excessive draw while cranking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the truck had a dead battery when we recieved it, so we tested another bat. and even tried jumping it with cables but no go
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

You may have a bad starter if your sure the battery is okay and holding a full charge. Dose the starter crank the engine at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
verry slowly and i can visably see the starter teeth skipping, weve had 4 differant starters and this last one we installed is the only right fitting one
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Has the battery been tested to be sure it will hold the correct load?

If you turn the engine with a socket on the front crank will the engine turn freely?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yessir
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay if the engine turns freely and the starter is new then the next steps would be to measure the voltage at the starter while cranking the engine over. You need to see no less then 10.8 volts with the starter loaded and spinning.