Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

What is a open loop fault in a fuel system, Yes, it spits

Customer Question

What is a open loop fault in a fuel system
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes, it spits and sputters after it gets to operating temp
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: It also has high voltage at o2 sensors
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New o2 sensors fuel pump cat converter , 2000 dodge ram 1500 v6 163000 miles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was a sensor heater problem , but that code not showing now
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

This what open loop means please read below

The open loop mean the car is still cold, basically when the engine is still cold and the Heated Oxygen sensor are heating up the PCM, get it Air fuel ratio from the ECT sensor ,map sensor ,maf sensor etc.. to keep car running correctly ,when engine warmed up and oxygen sensor heater came on and activated the PCM Should switch to the Oxygen sensors for these reading to keep car running ,so if you are no switching from Open loop To Closed loop After Sensors are heated up then the car is always running open loop, and in open loop ,obviously the pcm dumps more fuel to keep car running until engine warms up but if it is not switching then it will sputter ,runs rough misfire etc..

so the question is why is it doing that .

Now the Most common thing will be PCM issue ,wiring ,short ,loose ground ,you have pin out the pcm connector and run a continuity test on the wiring harness

not easy to do and time consuming and will need a level of experience to do that safely with damaging other systems

I m sorry to hear you have been Throwing parts at it , on capable scanner , what is the Fuel status showing , oxygen sensor readings ,upstream downstream, and fuel trims readings ,can you get me that , i can help you further on it and be more accurate for you

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat