Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will not start. I have to crank it forever and then put a…

Customer Question
Will not start....

Will not start. I have to crank it forever and then put a jump start on it to get it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They r not corroded

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2004.5 ram 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. Replaced fuel pump and fan clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wsnt to know where my lift pump is located. I cannot find it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
4/16/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., master tech. replied 1 year ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So two things, how are the glow plugs and has the fuel filter been replaced? Finally the lift pump is in the tank.
Let me know what I can do to help.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the fuel filter. It doesn't have glow plugs just a an air intake heater and I replaced the in tank fuel pump and did not see a lift pump
The intank pump is the lift pump. It was on the side of the engine till about 00 then they switched to intank.
Will it start and run ok if you add alt fuel to the intake?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fuel pump is the lift pump? I can get it started without adding anything to the intake. It just takes about 60 seconds or more to get it started. Only problem is my battery's drain down. So once i hook up my 200 amp battery charger and engine starter and I charge it for a minute or two and continue cranking it will eventually turn over and stay running. My alternator was tested and puts out 13.66 and my batteries hold 12.3. The Battery's are red tops. Attached is a pic of the lift pump that is said to go with my make year model. The second pic is a picture of the box it came in and is not how my fuel pump looks like. Clearly in this pick the lift pump is attached to the fuel pump. I have heard that the dealership does a mod on my truck when the lift pump goes out and they put it in the tank along with the fuel pump.
that is the style that gets bolted on the side of the engine. They were converted to an intank style. They didn't use that pump for the conversion. You got a whole new module that dropped in the tank.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so my new fuel pump has the lift pump incorporated? Or my lift pump is a fuel pump?
So what do I need to look at now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This all started because I got a no code no start. So I swapped the fuel pump out. I was getting 9 psi out of the one I replaced. I was told by dodge mechanics that are local that I need much higher psi. So when I replaced the fuel pump it didn't start right away and I had to charge the batteries because the truck also was sitting for six weeks. Once it started it worked great for about 10 days. Then it became hard to start again meaning longer cranking it to get it started. Then it just would not turn over and I would have to charge my batteries to get it to turn over again. I read that my fan clutch could be the issue so I disconnected it to see if it would start it never started I just got a code P0480 I replace that but before I replaced it I hooked the new one up without installing it. It did not start also just got another code P0483 I believe. Those are the only two codes I have but again my issues were before these two codes so I replaced the fan clutch for nothing. I just wonder why after I replaced the fuel pump it worked great for 10 days. Also the new fuel pump is putting out 16 PSI. I checked on my buddies 2004 1/2 Dodge ram 3500 automatic and his fuel pump only put out 5 to 6 PSI with no starting issues
does it do it all the time or only when cold?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the time. I live in Las Vegas. It's 80+ degrees
Awe gotcha. Ok well try adding some diesel into the intake just before trying to start it and let me know what happens.
Most likely your injectors or injection pump is failing. But let's do a few tests to see. Try adding the diesel and let me know what happens
Also is there any chance you can borrow your friends batteries and try them in your truck and see how it does? Just a hunch.
Let me know what happens and I'll be back on tomorrow morning. But I'm signing off for tonight.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't mention it before but I have a manual transmission. The NV5600. Anytime I have had to troubleshoot using just answer this has been helpful. Am I pulling the heater grid off and putting diesel in it that way or just through the air filter. I will try the diesel in the intake tomorrow after work. So you have time to let me know which way. I will let u know what happens. Also on the batteries, the first thing I did was pull them both and trickle charged them. Still the same issue. But I will see if I can get two batteries to see what happens. I'm also leaning towards a fuel supply issue. But I was told that one bad injector would not cause this issue. What do u think. Anyway talk tomorrow
it's better to just take the tube off on the driver side that goes into the intake and squirt fuel in there. If you go in through the air filter it sends the fuel through the turbo. Which isn't good. Just take that tube off it goes directly into the intake manifold and squirt fuel in there.

I just wanted to see if you had a chance to try the things yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late reply. Just real busy will get to it as soon as possible and will let you know. Thanks
Ok just wanted to check thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could not get my friends batteries to try.
I pulled my intake off and sprayed diesel into the intake by the heater grid and it still would not start. So now I'm thinking crank shaft semsor. What do u think?
Well it is a possibility. So I think you should try new batteries first. If it turns over slow it will take longer to start.
really the batteries should last longer then cranking for 60 sec. they should be able to crank for several min straight. Like around 10 min. Before they start to die
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to put a load tester on the batteries and see where I'm at.After having my charger on 40 amp for an hr I got in and it cranked it for 2 seconds and it fired right up. I had a little Stuttering and smoke but that I believe is from the diesel I sprayed into the intake. That went away and it ran great. I ran it for 20 minutes and then shut it off. About a minute later I tried to start it again and it took about 7/8 seconds to start. So I'll get back to u when I retest the batteries.
Sounds good.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took the batteries to oreillys auto parts to be load tested. Both batteries I was told just needed to be charged. I had them charge them. Put them back in and it took about 12-15 seconds of cranking to get started. Keep in mind I had the truck started and running twice today. So ill try starting it again tomorrow morning. I bought starting fluid and it says that I can not use it in a diesel that has glow plugs. Since I don't have glow plugs but rather an air intake heater would I be able to use this product if it doesn't start in the morning. Thanks
you can. But they make starting fluid for diesels as well. But don't use much of it. Just a quick spray. If it doesn't start up in the morning, I still think you should try your friends batteries. But let me know how it starts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't start. Cranked it for 3 minutes. Going to try the starter fluid now. Waiting now my bud to get back to me on the batteries
did it turn over fast or slow?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fast
Ok. So try spraying diesel in the intake as someone else try's to start it. You need to do it symotaniosly.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Sorry. I think it's something with the injection system but want to make sure. Do you have a scanner that will tell you rail pressure?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't. I'll check to see if I can get one
Gotcha. Let me know
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What kind of scanner would tell me fuel rail pressure.
Usually you need a professional type. They usually are pretty expensive
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well shot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shit
Sorry :-/
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll let u know when I find one and what the story is
K. Sounds good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so I'm waiting on a obd reader that will supposedly tell me my fuel rail pressure. But out of curiosity. What type of engine driven fuel pump do I have. The vp44 or the cp3. Thanks
Yours should be the cp3.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still waiting on the code reader. Don't even have a ship date yet. So when I spray the engine start fluid into the air filter it starts and stays running. I would think that if it was the engine fuel pump that it would shut off after the starter fluid is gone. It doesn't die when I drive it either. Going to take it on a long drive this weekend. But what do u think about it not Dying
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.