Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2008 srt4 caliber has a no bus code after a battery

Customer Question
change yesterday...
My 2008 srt4 caliber has a no bus code after a battery change yesterday
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It drove fine 2 times after changing it yesterday. When coming out for lunch last night it would not start and gave the no bus code. I managed to get it to crank up just ONCE. I limped it home. About 2 min after driving the instrument cluster stopped woring and the headlights and taillights flashed l-the flashing lights still happen when the key in turned over..
4/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

First, I would probablt reset all of the PCM memory adaptives and see if maybe one of the electrical systems just got confused when you changed the battery.

This is done by disconnecting both battery cables and holding them together for about 1 minute. Make sure nothing is on turned on when doing this or it may act up again. After a minute reconnect the battery like normal. See if the message goes away.

Second, you might check the voltage output of the alternator. On this car, the first thing to malfunction when the alternator begins to die is the instrument cluster. It needs a good steady voltage stream, so if the alternator is putting out inconsistent voltages then it could case the symptoms you are seeing. You should be a steady 13.9-15 volts from the alternator. Also, if you switch your multimeter to AC volts it should be putting out 0 volts AC. If it is making AC voltage that could also be the problem and would indicate a bad alternator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check the alternator I have tried connecting the terminals already the code did not go away

Do you have access to a scan tool to check for trouble codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a small hand held scanner but it will not connect.

It sounds like the relay that sends power to the PCM isn't coming on. Sometimes this is caused by corrosion or a broken wire to the relay box. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir I do

OK, check for power on fuses 23, 26 and 32 in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- under the hood. Power comes from the main relay that is energized by the PCM at key on.

If no power on these fuses, check the wiring for the main relay located in the fuse box on the left frame rail. The Red/Light Blue wire often corrodes badly under the relay box. If the wiring looks ok, wiggle the main PCM relay, pull it out check for corrosion and plug it back in and see if power come on at those three fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will let you know the outcome going to check.them now

Sounds good. I'm thinking you will most likely find an issue with the main relay. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All 3 of those fuses have power
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
23 has 11.58
26 has 11.56
32 has 11.83

OK. Can you tell if the main relay seems to be working? Clicking when you turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't hear the relay when I turn the key on the fuel pump then the radio clicking sounds are loudest

I'm suspecting an issue somewhere in the fuse box. It sounds like voltage isn't feeding the instrument cluster. It's hard to say exactly where the disconnect is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I check voltage to all the fuse locations to see if it's missing voltage somewhere?

That's probably all you can do without knowing where it's lacking voltage. Is the battery voltage only 11.58?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery Is 12.28

You should see 12.28 on those three fuses as well. Check the main relay for corrosion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know the exact location of the main relay

On the outside of the left frame rail in front of the tire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only one I see on the out side is the for the tire pressure?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry ive had my phone in my pocket it was on the call option I did not mean to call you can void that if it sent a notification
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw online it mentioned holding the trip reset down then turn the ignition over for some coded on the tpm side it showed SwVer 9634
Can ver 643
Lin very 429 not sure what this means or if it's relevant to my problem?
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You opted out the person trying to help, preventing him from replying. Did you no longer need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I still need help

The engine does not crank, correct?

Are you seeing a no bus message on the instrument cluster?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct it.will.not.crank with the no bus message on the odometer.

The fuel pump doesn't run when the key is turned on and throttle body does not do a self test, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct only thing I hear when I turn the key is the radio sounds like it's changing disk. Which also will not turn on

Have fuses been checked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked the fuses in the tipm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't have many srt4 calibers around my area. But the local salvage yard has a few non turbo calibers would the tipm and relays be the same for the little price would it be worth trying?

You can't install a used TIPM and you wouldn't want to start guessing and replacing parts, compounding the issues and diagnostics.

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I do not

The next step will be to test the PCM power and ground feeds, but a test light or a headlamp bulb and jumper wires will be necessary. If the powers and grounds are present yet the PCM does not operate, which would need to be verified with a scan tool, then the PCM will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will go pick up a test light. What kind of scan tool is needed to the pcm. I have a small handheld cel scanner

An actual scan tool would most likely be necessary to check for communication, and a dealer level scan tool will be necessary if the PCM has to be replaced because programming will be necessary. An actual scan tool is a several thousand dollar tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have the test light. What power and grounds would you like me to check
I'm away from a computer at the moment and will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now hear a click from the intake manifold area when turning the key over this may be the throttle body test
Can you see if it's actually coming from the throttle body?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would I have to remove the intercooler pipe to see this?
Yoy can if you're unsure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As good as I can tell it is from the throttle body

That means the PCM is at least partially awake then. YOu're really going to need a scan tool to be able to diagnose this accurately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well Atleast one last question. This of course has disabled my control of the lights and horn ect. But why the key is in the on position the security light continuously flashes could this be a security malfunction? Or its almost certain to be the pcm

If the S***** *****ght is flashing it's because the key has not been validated. Did the engine start and die three times and then lock the starter out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the battery. After i drove it twice the 3rd time I go into the vehicle it gave the no bus code after messing with it a moment it Crunk up and I managed to make it home. But now it continues the no bus error

When this current problem started did the engine start and die three times and lock the starter out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I work 2nd shift I drove home thrusday night perfectly fine friday morning when I came out the battery was dead I jumped it off went and purchase a new battery then my problems started. It never died

The S***** *****ght may be flashing due to a loss of communication with the PCM then but it would usually stay on solid if that was the case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just repeatedly flashes it does not turn solid

That's because the key has not been validated by the wireless control module for whatever reason.