Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I own an 06 Durango SLT 5.7. My key is transmitting a signal…

Customer Question
Hello, I own an 06...
Hello, I own an 06 Durango SLT 5.7. My key is transmitting a signal but apparently the vehicle is not getting it. Therefore I can only open my door manually. When I do this, since it receives no signal from the key, my security system believes I am breaking in and my lights flash but the horn does not sound. My vehicle does not have an engine disengager so I am able to drive it but the lights continue to flash. Someone with some knowledge said that it may be a faulty radio frequency module but I can find no part that goes by that name. Any ideas? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

I attached a procedure for you to reset the complete system. If this does NOT work, then there is an actual problem with the system that would require a scan tool to help diagnose this.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep
this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry but what you have sent me does not apply. As stated in my question my vehicle does not disengage the engine when the security system is activated.

Okay, try this then. See new attachment.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My vehicle is not receiving the signal from my key. Are you saying you believe it is the computer? I was led to believe that there was a module that receives the signal and then passes it on to the system. Is that incorrect?

One step at a time, it can be a bad module or communication issue through the twisted pair wiring on the BUS.

until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to reset the computer but what is the BUS?

The BUS is the communication link between ALL the modules.

Please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link for future correspondence.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will try your suggestion and get back to you later today. Thank you.

Okay, don't forget to rate too, it's an incentive for us both:)

until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I finally had a chance to try what you suggested and it was not effective.

You used the scan tool like I said too and did all those tests?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You told me to reset the computer, you did not tell me to run a scan tool. Which scan tool do you speak of?

Read my very first post to you where it states a scan tool may be required.

Please rate me for my time.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you referencing a code reader? Is that the scan tool you are discussing? If so I have no indicator lights on my dashboard. Would it still read it?

No, a scan tool, NOT a code reader. You can borrow one from a parts store for a deposit if you want too and the will direct you how to use the type they have.

until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron