Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have to pump the gas to start it. If I dont pump the gas

Customer Question

I have to pump the gas to start it. If I dont pump the gas peddle, it wont turn over.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It starts fine once the gas is pumped and my car has always been a gas hog
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1977 Dodge other 200
JA: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my 600?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is also a squeeling sound coming from the engine compartment that worsens when I accelerate. I thought it was a bad belt or perhaps a good belt that was just on too tight. What else could it be possibly
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and welcome to just answer. If you have to pump the pedal, then there is a problem with the choke on the carburetor. Have a shop or dealer check and adjust the choke. As far as the squealing noise, it probably is a loose or worn belt(s), so have them check and adjust it if needed.

I hope this helps, and if you need further assistance, then please let me know!

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my vehicle is a 1977 Dodge B200 and has a timing chain, not a belt, if the chain was bad the engine would be misfiring or rattling. Thats not the issue. Could it need to be lubricated or tightened?
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.
That's correct. If the timing chain slipped or jumped, it would be running bad , loss of power, all of the time . You have a carburetor problem, not a timing chain problem.Chris