Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

P2302 code, just like the page I was reading. Two days ago,

Customer Question
P2302 code, just like the...
P2302 code, just like the page I was reading.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Two days ago, I disconnected the battery. That will clear it, won't it?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8L
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, trying to fix. So far, plugs, coil, AIC and TPS. No change.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It won't rev past 2500 rpm or so. Studders after that.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 10 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The code you have is P2302-IGNITION COIL #1 SECONDARY CIRCUIT-INSUFFICIENT
IONIZATION. I see that you have replaced a few parts trying to correct this code but to be honest it's best not to replace any parts until you can diagnose the issue and repair the cause.. I have attached the test you will need to follow to properly repair this code..

Glad I could help and I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so I get credit for helping. You can still ask follow up questions after the rating..

I hope this helps you and in the future feel free to request me for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Have a great day,

Brad

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

far, this answer has only been marginally helpful.Can this code be caused by anything other than an electrical ignition component failure, such as a broken valve spring or a timing chain that slipped only a single tooth? I ask that as the monitored condition states: "secondary ignition burn time is incorrect or not present an error is detected".This van has 232,000 miles, so those may also be potential causes.Please let me know if this Diagnostic Trouble Code could be caused by a valve not opening enough to get enough gas to burn, particularly with the engine around 2700 RPM, which is where the drivability problem of the vehicle is most apparent.

Did you follow the diagnostic test I provided in which we use here at the dealership to determine the cause of P2302? if you suspect a bad lifter/camshaft then perform a leakdown test on cylinder #1. If leakage above 30% then you have a bad cylinder..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING so I'm credited before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech