Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I just described that a. Few mins ago, then i lost the

Customer Question

I just described that a. Few mins ago, then i lost the connection ! Aahhhh! I have no headlights, taillights, brakelights BUT DO HAVE TURNSIGNALS. after parking my 88 dodge ram van 250 for 3 hours in a heavy rain. All fuses are good and a serious visual found a wet buss box under brake pedal .. dryed that out pretty good and redid both battery terminals still nothing !
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Not yet no blown fuses and what are the odds all 4 connections went bad at same time , also doesnt the turn sig share the same circuit as the brakes ?
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what ive told you the battery terminals dryed out the buss bar under brake pedal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How frustratef and desperate i am ?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Id like to add more but have not heard from anybody for 23 hrs now any suggestions as to what direction to go with this ?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have several things going on and it's going to require some electrical testing to determine what is going on. The problem may be wiring, bulbs, connections, switches; it's very possible that you have more than one problem going on at the same time.

Are you able to upload a picture of the item under the dash where you saw the water?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No i am not able to send a photo of the " buss box " i was referrinng to for a couple of reasons . One im not so tech savey and had trouble getting my flash to work and two it is behind a shit load of wires ! This buss box is where the wireing harness goes thru the. Firewall located behind the brake pedal.
I even took the cover off the engine side where i found more moisture.
I have since very thouraly cleaned and dryed both sides even took voltage readings from each of the connections for all the good that does in that i dont know what a y of tbe wires are ! I dont know how it is getting wet but have it dryed out and still have the same problem ! I need to get this resolved wbich is wby i am tryi ng your service .i will need some mind of responce of less than 23 hours however ! I have power up to the headlight switch and ha ve si ce
Replaced tbe swich still nothing.
Now since then out of desperation and the need to move the van i wired up a headlight directly to the battery when i attempted to connect to the high beam wire to the headlight it sparked and sborted ! This would be a clue ? It did not burn any fuses !
Can you please give me a direction as to go in solving this ?
I have cruise control and my dimmer switch is located on the cruise control lever on the steering collum as is my wipers, which work.
Everything seems to work in van except headlights brake lights, running lights AND POWER DOOR LOCKS !!( ANOTHER clue ?)
Turnsignals interior lights they all work and no blown fuses !
What should i do ? PLease respond in a timely manner im stymied and under pressure to move the vehicle alzo the rains have stopped.

What wires are the headlamp switch have power?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I wired into the connector to the headlights nust before the headlights. I had key on and new switch on when i touched thehightbeam wire it sparked or shorted the connector is still on but the high beam wire is not because i burnt it off when it shorted .
I have wires straight from battery with A switch to that one headlight
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did i answer your ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you answer me ? Did i answer your qiestion ? What shale i do next ? Is there anything i can do to help you give me an answer ? Are you real buizy at this hour ? Whats up ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello is anybody out ther ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nobody on duty tonight ? Can anybody give me a responce, even if it to tell me to wait. ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please respond ! Hello ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cant get a responce from anybody INCLUDING YOUR SUPPORT customer. CARE. !!!!
WHAT IS GOING ON ? IS THIS A SCAM OR WHAT ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please respond !!!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
W T F ????
Still no answer ?!!!
This is lame and probably criminal ! Call me please , i need help , not ripped off !!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm a full time tech and cannot be online 24 hours a day. I will open your question for others to see if someone else is willing to help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

Different expert here.

Can you please post your VIN and the components that are not working?

I will do some research for you and reply back.

Thank you.

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why thankyou for a replie. I was not aware that there were shifts or the same mechanic or what have you this being my first time using anything like this ,my apologies for my impatience .
Also thankyou for recruiting additional help. I am no electrician but fairly mechanicly adept .the vin# ***** : 2B6HB23Y3JK139070
Everything works except headlights. Taillights brake lights and powerlocks. Which i understand share a circuit with the headlights
This morning i tested for power at the. Fuse box. With the key on and the new headlight switch on ther was no power on fuses 6 and 7 which i believe is the lights. However with the key off and switch off i. Got a reading of 2volts ! Another clue ? Note what i said earlier about when i hooked up a headlight directly to battery. I appreciate any and all help in giving me a direction to go in fixing this
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for that information.

Does the alternator charge?

If so, then check for power going into fuse 6 and 7 on the red/white wire. If I am looking at the diagram correctly, this wire powers up these two fuses. If it possible there is no power going into these fuses or the fuse box itself might just be bad.

You can power up these fuses and see if the headlights start working.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.