sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Clicking in the driver side cab fuse box (I believe) and my

Customer Question

Clicking in the driver side cab fuse box (I believe) and my radio turns on without the key in the ignition.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It has drained my battery overnight The car is in Park and the wheel is not locked
JA: What year is your Cab?
Customer: 1998 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 Magnum
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am still troubleshooting I want to eliminate other things before I try to purchase an ignition
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The stereo is aftermarket, it was installed 5 years ago and the problem began 10 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The only way the radio could turn on is if it received a keyed power feed. A bad ignition switch could potentially cause the issue but an ignition switch problem is unlikely to be intermittent. I believe the problem may be with an aftermarket remote start, whether you realize one is in place or not.

Do you have a remote start, or dd you buy the truck used leaving the possibility that there is one in place you aren't aware of?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i bought it used, but I am crrtain there is no remote start. My thoughts were either a bad relay or faulty ignition switch.

Did you buy the truck new? If not, you've disassembled the dash and no traces of aftermarket wiring or a remote start module were found?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just did a heater core a few weeks back, only aftermarket wiring is the stereo connection itself. Only symptoms are the crackling (arcing) and the radio comes back on by itself without the key. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to turn back on.

Was this not a problem until the dash was out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This started 10 days ago. I assure you it is not related.

If it did start afterward then it's very possibly related.

Do the problems still happen with the ignition switch unplugged?