Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota and there isn't any power in the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota and there isn't any power in the cab but there is power to everything under the hood
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tested all fuses and breakers in the main jutc box on the fender and everything has power
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: Nothing in the cab works! No lights horn all the things that work without the switch being on
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

On the surface, it sounds like you have a Central Timer Module/ CTM problem. CTMs control a great many accessories in your Dakota, including interior lighting and key-in chime in addition to exterior lighting and horn. Other things are also included once you roll the key on, but I'm not sure if your Dakota even runs at this point.

Try this. A reboot of the CTM often restores it to operating even if only temporarily. Let's disconnect and reconnect it to see if anything changes.

You'll find the CTM in the recess behind the left kick panel - the area directly left of the park brake pedal.

Remove the left door sill plate by pulling directly up (it unsnaps). Then yank the kick panel toward you and it'll come right out. What sits there with three connectors pointing toward you is the CTM. Unplug all three connectors, wait a minute, and reconnect. If the systems that you have lost are suddenly restored, it means you need a CTM.

If this doesn't work, let me know and we'll press on.

Ed

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I bought this truck from a person that told me that it blew a radiator hose got hot so he shut it down, replaced the hose and tried to restart it but nothing worked. So he gave up and sold the truck, I have traced everything down under the hood and there is power to everything but nothing in the cab not even to the fuse panel!

Look under the driver's side dash for the main bulkhead connector and disconnect it. It's the monster plug that uses a 10mm bolt to hold the thing together. See if there's something obviously burned up in there.

If OK, I'd check for power at the underhood fuse block, called the Power Distribution Center/ PDC. There should be several power sources to feed the interior Junction Block/ JB, so chances are kind of slim that you'd loose all of these individually. The entire PDC might be lacking for power, which comes from the single positive battery cable connection that's bolted to the top of the unit. Produce a load on the system by turning the headlamps on and then test for voltage drop between the battery positive post and the PDC. There's got to be a loss of power in either the bulkhead connector or the connection to the PDC if everything is out.