kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I am having a hard time aligning the marks on my cams, I

Customer Question

I am having a hard time aligning the marks on my cams, I just installed the water pump. I want to make sure that I put this in time and align everything right, this is my first time doing this. I'm Trying to get this taken care of so I have a ride to work next week.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  kalamykid replied 9 months ago.

Did you compress the tbelt tensioner or did you get a new one?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I bought a new one, and my nephew though it would be fun to pull the pin while I was putting it on. I put it on but I'm sure I'll have to get another one If I can't compress it.

Do you have a vice?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have a vice, but I do have C clamps if that would work.

It will be kinda hard to do, but it can be done. You will have to do it slowly so you do not damage the seals. This really needs to be done first as you should take it off to compress it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I will give that a shot, and it just started raining bad over here. Times like this I wish I had a garage.

I know the felling. Shall we work on this in the morning?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that would probably be a good Idea, Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow. I just gave it a shot with the C Clamp it didn't go to well, I might have to actually get another one.
I saw this video yesterday but didn't think it was relevant since it did not list the eclipse, stratus, or sebring in the description. Is this what I will be doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkG396-0Y7E

Yes that is a very good video for you to go by,

To bad your engine is not as clean or easy to get to as that one. I will be here to help guide you if you need me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, I know that's right
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I didn't actually find it hard to get to the places I needed to get to. I have fairly small hands, for my first time It only took me a couple of hours to get this far. But I'm sure I will need help things do happen that a video alone cannot help with.

We can get this back together and running, just let me know what you need help with and we can get it done. As far as the C clamp, if you use a drill to drill a small dimple into the head if the C clamp, the tip of the tensioner will sit in it better and not slide out so you can compress it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cool that's good to know, I'll let you know. It's to bad that this had to happen as I just finished rebuilding bmw lights for my car. I'm going to bed it's almost 12pm over here.

Have a good night.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you too

Good morning. How is the weather today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not raining, but looks like it might. I'm headed to the parts store down the road from me to use their vice. I forgot that I lent my brother my drill, I was looking for it for about an hour.

I will be here if you need me.

Have you had a chance to get back to the timing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, I had to go out of town for a funeral. I didn't have my phone on, I really did not want to be bothered for a while. Yes, I managed to get the car back in time.

Does it run well now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah, runs perfect

Do you need any more information? If not please do not forget to rate me on my help. Have a great day.