Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

06 3500 5.9 trying to isolate a fuel leak. Can see dripping

Customer Question

06 3500 5.9 trying to isolate a fuel leak. Can see dripping usually after 1st start up and shut off. It is on the passenger side and I think it's running from the driver side.
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: Just what is hitting the pavement. The smell is greater on the fuel rain side of the motor.
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, nothing yet just trying to find it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: High mileage vehicle
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you tell me what part of the engine that the drip is coming from underneath? If you can post this info, I may be able to help. I need to know if it is closer to the front, rear, or center. Maybe if you can take pics of the area It would help...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found the leak it's at the number one fuel line where it is fastened to the injector tube. I'm thinking it could be just the O-ring and I'm wondering if those can be purchased individually or do I have to purchase the whole line.
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

The fuel injector lines themselves do NOT have any type of O ring. If you are certain that the line is what is leaking, you will need to replace that #1 injector line.

There is an O ring, but it is at the connector tubes. To check this O ring you must remove the line, and the 24mm injector connector tube hold down nut. Once that is removed you can pull out the injector connector tube. Inspect the o ring and replace if necessary. You should be able to get the connector tube o rings separately directly from cummins. If you go to the dealer they will sell you a complete injector connector tube which includes the o ring...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will advise you hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

No problem, I'll be here...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.