Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 24 valve diesel - wouldn't start after

Customer Question

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 24 valve diesel - wouldn't start after driving to café. Left vehicle for 3 hours to line up hauling and when returned it started up. I drove the vehicle home 50 miles and it stalled out after idling for a few minutes and It will not start. When slowing down for turning the throttle was hesitant to reaccelerate.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Sounds like a lift pump or injection pump problem or both. Do you know if the Fuel Lift Pump has ever been replaced? This would be the electric pump located on the engine block just below and behind the fuel filter...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I don't know if it's been replaced. But it has plenty of pressure when bleeding the filter. I've had the throttle positioning sensor replaced three months ago and they checked everything out at the Dodge dealership.
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.

You will need to run a volume test. The lift pump must be capable of delivering at least 45 oz of fuel in 25 seconds. The lift pump runs for 25 seconds if you turn the key to the start position for a second then leave it in the run position. Disconnect the fuel hose from the injection pump and put into a gallon container so you can collect this 25 seconds of fuel. After collecting fuel, pour into a measuring container. If it is low, lift pump needs to be replaced, if is good, then you will need to scan the vehicle for codes....

If you can have it scanned, Post all codes retrieved here and I'll let you know what to do next...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert