Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

01 Durango r/t 5.9 after driving it for an hour I lose 4th

Customer Question

01 Durango r/t 5.9 after driving it for an hour I lose 4th gear o/d ligh comes on and the only way it goes back to normal is to let it cool down for 20 minutes or so or downshift to 2nd rpm goes up around 4500-5000 wile doing 65-70mph and then throw it back in to drive then it's good for a wile hope you have an answer thanks
JA: Well, we require $5 .
Customer: Ok
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Overdrive light stays on and it doesn't respond to the overdrive botton
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I pout in it Lucas additive and and didn't do much just shifted better in the other gears then I tried adding transmedic and I drove the truck for a few hundred miles with no problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got the truck really cheap and one of the things I first did was I changed the transmission fluid case the pan gasket had a leak so I didn't know if the truck had that shift problem before and I fixed it temporary by changing the fluid truck has 133k and I pout on it about 11k and then I started having these problems also if I pined it from a dead stop It didn't want to shift out of first after adding Lucas additive fix that problem and months later this one come up
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I have an answer unfortunately that you may not want to hear. It seems that you have already tried the transmission "Fix in a can" Products. Unfortunately these products do not fix anything, all they do is "Temporarily" mask the inevitable.

At this time, I am suspecting multiple internal transmission failures that can ONLY be fixed by removing the transmission and either overhauling it or replacing it. I also suspect an overheating issue when in 4th which is causing it to disable overdrive. This would explain why it works ok again after a cool down period...

My recommendation at this time is to take the vehicle to a reputable transmission shop and have them take a look. I suspect that they will want to replace or overhaul the transmission.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what's the case of overheating internally?
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

There could be several causes of a transmission overheating. A Torque Converter clutch that is not properly locking up can cause transmission to overheat. A plugged or blocked transmission cooler can cause overheating. A slipping clutch will cause overheating...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think it was my torque converter I pored in instant shudder fix my shifts are all much better and I don't know if I mentioned I did have a vibration around 70-75 MPh now that's gone I thought it was wheel Balancing so far so good if I have any problems I'll get back thanks for the help.
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 months ago.

I'm fairly certain that this will be a temporary fix. Any products that claim a "Fix in a Can" rarely ever help for more than a few days or weeks. From what you are describing, you probably should prepare yourself for a fairly large expense to repair or replace the transmission...

Thank you,

Robert