Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have 2004 ram 2500 with the cummins,199k miles, 3rd owner.

Customer Question

i have 2004 ram 2500 with the cummins,199k miles, 3rd owner. why does it require so much leg pressure to depress the clutch pedal. is there a problem withe the slave cylinder?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall. Did this just happen? or has been like this since you bought?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
since I bought it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has always been hard

Ok, then I doubt a hydraulic problem like a master cylinder or slave cylinder. Not knowingt he history of the truck? I am going in the direction in that a aftermarket clutch was installed at some point and has a pressure plate that is kind of beefed up or a performance pressure plate in which stiffer springs are installed. This gives a hard pedal to push but.. a longer lasting clutch and better for towing heavy loads and so on. Some people prefer this and when putting new clutch in? they select that type of clutch, If? that is not the case? then yes, the other option would in fact be the slave cylinder. I have seen throwout bearings bind but that is rare, the mater cylinder? I doubt it as that is only the "pump" the problem is after the master cylinder. I feel a new clutch kit if or when you want to do it, witll correct the problem,. the cheaper try if so inclined? try the slave cylinder as does not cost that much, but if still hard to push? its going to be the clutch kit that is in the truck and would be needed to be changed to standard factory type and that will make it easier to push

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know that this is the original clutch, it hasn't been changed

well, it could? be failing and the pressure plate is going bad or as mentioned and answering you initial question, yes, a slave cylinder can in fact cause this

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks

your welcome