Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

It wont start. Just want to confirm what im thinking the

Customer Question
It wont start. Just...
It wont start. Just want to confirm what im thinking the problem is
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Its Far beyond that
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 Slt hemi 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am, Earlier this (April) year had issues with lightening bolt, after going through all the checks, narrowed it down to corrosion in the fuse panel, Had that repaired, Truck ran great for about 6 months, then started to act up again, lasted about 3 days showing issues, with the Lightening bolt, and then finally died,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Truck Cranks, All gauges work, relays are all new. No fuel pump
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/26/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 10 months ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Have you checked for spark and injector pulse yet? If not start there.

Hi wayne,
Spark is Present, as well as injector pulse, The truck will start with starting fluid. Everything seems to be working fine, except no prime from the fuel pump.Give then past issues with the fuse panel, and the truck showing identical signs as before. Im looking for confirmation that the fuse panel is the culprit, prior to purchasing one as they are about $800 hereI the 5v circuit directly or indirectly tied in with the fuel pump?

If you use starting fluid it continues to run?

You dont have enough information yet to know if its the fuse box. Youll need to do some testing.

Here is why i am leaning towards the fuse boxIn april, Lightening bolt flashed, truck went into limp mode, All Codes pointed towards the 5v system.
replace, Throttle body, Fly By wire, Crank Sensor.Removed fuse panel, Found it to be quite corroded. Sent the fuse panel to an electrical repair shop. The cleaned the corrosion, re enforced with solder.I re installed the fuse panel, truck fired right up, and gave me no problem up until 2 weeks agowhile driving Lightening bolt came on, no impact to driving conditions,Later that day bolt came back on truck went to limp modeShut it off/back on truck was finelater that night truck wouldnt startwiggled the harness that has the 5v wire in it, truck eventually startedNext day truck wouldn't start, No fuel pump priming. Removed the pump checked/verified pump was working, reinstalled pump,No priming of fuel pump, truck wont start

Does the truck stay running after starting it with starting fluid?

I haven' t tried, it goes into limp mode when it does start

Are you getting power to the fuel pump when you first turn the key on?

No. No power to the pump at all

If you take out the fuel pump relay and jumper across pins 30 and 87 in the fuse box does the pump run?

No it does not, I tried that as well as replaced the fuel pump, and ASD relay. All fuses are good too

When you first turn the key on how many pins at the fuel pump relay have power and ground?

I havent checked that

Check that next.

Jerry, Master Mechanic