Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My truck computer showed a message shifter in need of

Customer Question

My truck computer showed a message shifter in need of maintenence I have a 2016 Ram 5.4 hemi engine whats the problem I have 40K miles on this vehicle
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: I don't know that question I can look, do you think that can be the problem. Last night it would not shift out of low.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing but I live in a rural area and I have work to do this morning. I was hoping it could be electronic as my transmission temp was fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes my trialor brake light came on. Saying basically the same thing. I'm not using it at all.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your model uses an electronic shifter.The shifter control on the transmission can fail or act up causing this issue here.Low voltage will also cause fault codes to set if you have a weak battery or alternator and there were some issues with this message coming on in colder temp areas.

What will have to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your model that can read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done the code is then diagnosed and repaired to resolve this here.If this is a low voltage issue then the battery and alternator will be tested as well as battery cables for any issues needing replaced or repaired.

If the electronic shifter on the transmission has failed it will need replaced.In some cases all that is needed is to have false fault codes cleared out with a scan tool as there were issues with phantom codes that may set causing this fault just needing cleared out with a compatible scan tool.

Being a 2016 model this may still be covered under factory warranty or a dealer may ' Good will " warranty the fault if out of warranty to diagnose and repair this at no charge to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete