Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

At 4.000+ rpm the motor asks like it has hit the rev limiter

Customer Question
and at an idle when...
At 4.000+ rpm the motor asks like it has hit the rev limiter and at an idle when you give it gas the motor takes a couple seconds to come back to a idle.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts normal, no codes, haven't drove it long enough to check fuel mileage.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2001 Dodge Durango RT 5.9
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and have done nothing except check for codes.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only thing other is misfire on #5 and have replaced plug, wires, cap, rotor, and cleaned fuel injector.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dodge
The miss fire on #5 comes and goes, have had the light come on and 10 min. later go out. It has also come on and stayed that way for a week at a time.
11/27/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 12 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The misfire and rpm limiter symptom are probably unrelated. Misfire usually is caused by coil or spark plug. Swap coil with another cylinder to see if misfire follows coil if so you know coil needs to be replaced. The RPM limiter symptom usually means the catalytic is clogged. You can remove the front oxygen sensor completely from exhaust to relieve exhaust pressure, if that allows it to run better you know the converter is clogged. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

5.9 magnum so there is only has 1 coil, would the converter cause the rpm stay at a high speed even after you take your foot out of it. Say I rev it up to 2,000 rpm and take my foot off the pedal and it take 2 or 3 seconds for the rpms io hit idle.

Sorry about that, I was thinking of later year with individual coils. On this model the #5 misfire is most likely due to injector or cap/rotor so I'd start with a tuneup if one hasn't been done recently. Yes is could cause the idle to stay high. Some other things that could cause idle to stay high is a sticking throttle plate, coolant temp sensor, #5 injector which could also cause the misfire, idle speed actuator, or PCV valve. Let me know fi you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician