-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

What tools do i need replace fuel filter 1997 dodge caravan,

Customer Question

what tools do i need replace fuel filter 1997 dodge caravan
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: i have to go retrieve the van--15 miles . hope it is external.
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: roger.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: driving down the highway start cutting out then starts dying able to restart couple times. then no restart. figure first thing change filter. had added some gas from jug afraid had some dirt in it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Well there is a sock inside the tank and there is a in-line filter. The in-line filter looks like >>THIS<< and you don't need any tools to replace it.. You shouldn't have to remove anything just follow this:

FUEL FILTER

The fuel filter mounts to the top of the fuel tank. The inlet and outlet tubes are permanently attached to the filter Fuel Filter

WARNING: RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE DISCONNECTING QUICK-CONNECT FITTINGS AT FUEL FILTER. REFER TO THE FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE PROCEDURE.

REMOVAL

1. Perform fuel system pressure release.
  2. Disconnect quick-connect fittings from fuel pump module and chassis fuel supply tube.
  3. Remove filter retaining screw Fuel Filter and remove filter from tank.

INSTALLATION

1. Install fuel filter to tank.
  2. The fuel supply (to filter) tube, return tube (to pump module) and fuel supply (to chassis fuel line) are permanently attached the fuel filter. The ends of the fuel supply and return tubes have different size quick-connect fittings.
  3. Apply a light coating of clean 30 weight engine oil to the fuel filter nipples. Install fuel tubes.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 8 months ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad