Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Got a code po740 torque converter circuit open..Truck still

Customer Question

Got a code po740 torque converter circuit open..Truck still runs good and shifts good still but I don't want it to get worst. Can I just change the selinoid.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: yes . Thats how i got the code
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2002 dodge ram 1500. 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. I thought of changing the solenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: can i do it by just dropping the pan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the fluid condition, if it dirty or discolored, or if there is clutch material in the pan, the torque converter is likely failing. If you have not had a look at the fluid and filter that would be the next steps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you're saying to drop the pan and check that? Dirty fluid would cause a torque converter clutch circuit/open code.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Yes to both. I would start with inspecting the fluid condition and for any signs of material in the pan and start first with doing a complete flush and adding some fresh fluid and see if that will solve the problem. If you have access to a compatible scan to you can also check the solenoid. Perform the Torque Converter Clutch test using a compatible scan tool. The engine should stall when running this test. If it does not, then it is likely a mechanical problem in the transmission. If the engine stalls as it should go forward with a flush and new fluid.