Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2002 dodge dakota 3.9l, mechanic put dist in,ran ok, broke

Customer Question
2002 dodge dakota 3.9l, mechanic...
2002 dodge dakota 3.9l, mechanic put dist in,ran ok , broke down on road, found dist rotor burnt, replaced cap n rotor on road and starts and runs but barely made it home, no power , pings like crazy, i cant believe no ck engine ligjt or codes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
11/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, with the low power and pinging it sounds like he might not have tightened the distributor down good and it moved. I'll post info below on how you can bring the timing mark up and check the rotor position to see if this is the case. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dist is down and tight, and my guy said he lined up the rotor with mark on dist, and it only went in oneway

Thanks, ***** ***** to check is going to be the coil. I'll post the resistance specs below and how to test it HERE

Where the black and grey wire goes on your coil will be the - terminal

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Has spark to cap n runs just not good at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any idea y the brand new rotor would melt the tab off

A voltage spike from the coil, it may have spiked and is now not putting out correct voltage and causing the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok ill check it out

Sounds good let me know how things go

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unplug coil connector n ck resistance of coil across 2 pins and it should be what , primary or secondary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cant believe i drove it 10 miles , running as poorly as it did n no codes or cel ligjt

Across the 2 pins is primary, Pin that goes to dark green and orange wire is + for the secondary.

It is really odd you didnt get a cel, does it work when you first turn the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do i ck coil primary n secondary, sorry not good with that

For the primary set your meter to ohms and put one probe on each pin, it should read .95-1.20 ohms

For the secondary put one probe on the coil wire outlet and the other on the pin that the dark green and orange wire connected to, it should read 11,300 to 13,300 ohms

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key on engine off

actually coil unplugged, you'll be testing this with no power to it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.2 ohm on coil, and open circuit from coil to connector on green/orange wire , nothing

Thanks, it's way out and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changing it out soon. Willreply

Sounds good, talk to you then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No good runs the same

It was definitely bad at the 2.2 ohms but there may be something else that contributed to it that's continuing to cause the issue. Let me open this back up to other experts to get a fresh input on it. Someone should be with you shrotly.

Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, put the motor at #1 tdc compression stroke. take the dizzy cap off and see where the rotor is pointing.

even if the mechanic said everything is right on. I need you to check it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its pointing directly at number one on cap

are you sure its not 180 out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have to make sure its on compression stroke
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But it ran for 2 days
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Until the rotor melted

very poorly

put a piece of tissue paper over the cylinder hole

any update?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have to do it in am

ok. keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Theres no gear on distributor , my guy said it would only go in oneway

just making sure the timing wasnt 180 out. i know there no gear. double check the firing order. test the cam sensor .

ill opt out and let another tech chime in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cam sensor is in distributor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
replaced dist n cam sensor again, its on number one compression stroke tdc and still runs rough ,pings etc
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello anyone
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still waiting for reply

Was the entire distributor replaced for some reason?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My guy changed it because he broke bolts in cap, then ran but not bad,then broke down on road,rotor which was new melted tab off, replaced cap n rotor on road and ran but real bad, managed with no power and pinging like crazy to get back, ,,then listened to tech and replaced coil, then replaced cam sensor and dist again, and made certain on tdc n number 1,and still runs rough and no power,andrattles or pings on accell
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But no codes or cel light

Nothing is being done to correctly position it other than insert it and bolt it down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct just made sure its on tdc on compression stroke and rotor at number one

It isn't in correctly then. A scan tool needs to be use to run the set sync procedure to correctly position it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do i do that

You connect a scan tool to the data link connector under the dash, enter the PCM and locate the set sync function. The engine is started and the distributor turned until it's in the correct position as indicated on the scan tool and then it can be tightened.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the dist turned by hand to diff spots it would run terrible in all positions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that make it run terrible , rough, and ping real bad

Yes, it's going to run poorly unless the set sync procedure is completed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill try it in am ty

You're welcome!

it turns out i put a junkyard motor in this cause it has so many miles, figured timing chain was done , but now have another problem, starts fine and runs good until you put in reverse or drive and then it dies right out, right away stalls, anything i did ,still no codes
Any response so i can finish this nightmare
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 12 months ago

What exactly was done in the mean time since we last talked?

We swapped out motor with junkyard motor complete

Is it dying abruptly as if the key was turned off?

in reverse, in drive it dies off slower

Is it dragging the engine down with the same feel as letting out on the clutch with a manual transmission in gear but not releasing the brake?

in reverse but in drive it runs rough then dies

What has been done now other than checking for codes?

Other than the block, heads and intake what from the used engine was installed?

Everything except alt,and waterpump

I need to know what 'everything' is. The coil, distributor, wiring, injectors, throttle body, sensors, etc. Anything other than the block and heads.

Coil ,dist, intake , injectors, sensors,plugs, wires,cap, rotor, everything came complete from junk yard and we pop in and started, it had crank sensor on it also, only things we used from old engine was waterpump, power steering, fan, and pulleys

Do you have a scan tool to monitor data?

Has the firing order been checked?

Have the plug wire and distributor cap condition been checked?
Has spark strength been checked?

Y does it run perfect until you put in gear

That will be revealed through testing.

Ok so u have no idea, what sensors pids to watch

If you're to the point of watching sensors, and I don't have enough information to know that you are because my questions went unanswered, then you'd be looking at cam and crank, cam/crank sync data, TPS, MAP, long and short term adaptives, coolant and intake temp, the upstream oxygen sensor, idle air control, and misfire monitor to start.

If running and hot at idle left fuel system says closed loop , r-fuel system stays open loop
Tps .55,current sync says ok, ckp count from 10 to 239 , cmp count 4to190
Right exhaust stays on rich, left exhaust flucuates lean, center ,rich
Rigjt upstream and downstream o2s stay at 4.98 volts,left upstream and downstream both .08 to .88 switching
Smoke tested and see no leaks

The first things that needed to be looked at were firing order, the plugs, wires and cap condition, and spark strength.

Firing order correct,spark good and plugs cap rotor new

That information wasn't posted here so I didn't have a way of knowing.

Has spark strength been checked?

I pulled the wire off when running and its sparks great
What would cause rich only on rs bank

It's a California emissions vehicle with four oxygen sensors and three converters?

Its weird i only see 2 02 sensors

It doesn't have a left and right bank for fuel control then.

What specifically was seen when checking spark strength and where was it checked? What color was the spark and how large of a gap would it jump?

I can ck now whats the best way, runs perfectly and park until you move the shifter to reverse neutral drive then it dies

You previously said that it ran poorly before it died and dies slowly in drive and didn't mention neutral. Does it actually die abruptly when the shifter is moved out of park? You seem to be describing the torque converter clutch coming on and killing the engine but I ruled that out to an extent based on previous descriptions of the symptoms.

It seems like it dies abruply in reverse,its seems like if i go straiht to drive like it coughs and dies and now i notice it feels same way if i go straight to neautral
Sorry for confusion its driving me crazy
Is there a way to disconnect torque converter to see if dont stall
I ckd trans fluid and it looks bubbly
But i drove with old motor and trans had no problems
Does bubbled on dipstick mean water or air

If you unbolted the torque converter the starter couldn't drive the flexplate to start the engine.

If the engine is being dragged down when put into gear then you either have a bad torque converter or the converter clutch solenoid is allowing flow to the converter when it should not be.

If it is running poorly then the problem is engine related. You can't proceed with diagnostics until you're able to identify if it's a transmission or driveability problem.

Ok so i run this thing and have it idling in park, the split second i move slowly to reverse it dies out and couple of times go to restart and starter makes a horrible noise

But is it a driveability issue or the torque converter clutch coming on? You have to be able to differentiate or seek the help of someone in person that's experienced enough to know the difference.

Only pid i have in trans is tcc solenoid which says off
Maybe i screwed up the crank sensor cause before i did motor swap it didnt stall in gear

The crank sensor would be installed after the engine is in place or it can be damaged.

Well i know my guy put engine in with crank sensor on back of engine, so i think i would have to take it out tomorrow n see

Ok.

Hey does this 2003 have a rev limiter cause when i rev in park it breaks up at 2000 rpm, if not maybe it is the ckp sensor

Yes, all fuel injected/electronic ignition engines have a rev limiter and it is lower in park or neutral to prevent damage from needless revving with no load.

Ok ty gonna take out ckp tom n inspect if not that gonna drop pan to ck out tcc solenoid

Ok.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08