Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I have a 2004 dodge Viper that I bought used at a Chevrolet

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge Viper that I bought used at a Chevrolet dealership in my home town of Greenwood, MS about 6 years ago with 17000 miles on it. At the time I bought it, there seemed to be some slack in the drive train. Before I bought it, I had a Corvette mechanic at the dealership ride with me. He, of course, contended that it wasn't enough to be concerned about. I also have reason to believe the previous owner was drag racing the car and probably use nitrous. I don't race the car and now have 49,000 touring miles on it. But the slack or backlash somewhere in the drivetrain seems to be getting worse. And it seems the worst when the car is driven a few miles and is warmed up. It is especially noticeable in higher gears where quickly applying a little throttle and releasing produces a pronounced clunk-clack as the "slack" takes up and is released back, wherever it is. The u-joints seem fine. A knowledgeable friend believes the problem is probably in the differential, which needs the slack shimmed out in some way. What do you think? How big a job is that? Do you know the nearest dealership to me?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

You should first check the lubricant level in the rear axle. Other than that is the noise is coming from the rear differential then you could possibly have a worn ring and inion gear, worn bearings, whichever though ,the axle should be serviced.

I did find a procedure though you could try to check the Hydra-lock. Look at the bottom of the page I uploaded.

The nearest Dodge dealer to you might be

Cannon Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram

69860 Highway 82 West
Greenwood, MS 38930

(###) ###-####/p>

http://ww38.cannonchryslerdodgejeepram.com/

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

Actually that website is down.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, thanks... what is the hydra lock....some sort of limited slip in the rear end? I did find a dealer in Memphis who is going to help me....I'll try that website later...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

A locking differential.

kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.